Agile Planning and Estimating
This course takes a deeper dive into the topic of Agile Estimating and Planning at the Release level and at a Program (multi-team) level. Many teams struggle with the topic of ‘Just Enough’ upfront requirements, ‘Just Enough’ upfront sizing and design and ‘Just Enough’ planning so this course is dedicated to demystifying these concepts and walking through practical real world approaches to successful Agile planning and estimating.
This course introduces participants to the 6 levels of planning (Strategic, Portfolio, Roadmap, Release, Iteration, Daily). The first two levels of planning are covered in the Agile Portfolio Management course.
This course assumes you have basic Agile knowledge and experience and have attended foundation courses such as Real World Agile for Teams or similar courses.
REQUEST A QUOTE| AGILE PROJECT MANAGEMENT | AGILE PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
What You’ll Learn
- Challenges with Traditional Planning and Estimation
- What is Agile and Why?
- Agile Estimating and Planning Principles
- The 6 Levels of Planning
- The Agile Lifecycle Diagram – What Happens When?
- Writing Stories and Breaking Down EPICS
- Agile Sizing Methods and When to Use What
- Affinity Sizing
- Planning Poker
- Complexity Buckets
- Ideal Days
- Understanding Velocity and Capacity
- Estimating Initial Velocity
- Planning a Release
- Planning for Fixed Date and Fixed Scope
- Multi-team Program Release Planning
- Tips for Structuring the Teams
- Distributed Teams Release Planning
- EPIC Sizing Buckets
- Re-Estimation and Calibration
- Agile Budgeting Tips
- Agile Metrics – What Do We Measure?
Who should attend? Program Managers, Agile Project Managers/ ScrumMasters, PMO, Business Sponsors and Product Owners, Architects and Technical Leaders, Executives, and Managers interested in learning more about Agile Planning.
Duration: 2 Days
Why This Course?
- This course is designed with 60% interactive group workshops!
- You will practice all the core planning activities end to end.
- Lear real world techniques you can apply immediately, less theory and more practice!
- For private courses, we use YOUR own company initiatives as our sample through all the exercises.
- Get our unique Agile Planning Jump Start toolkit that includes: Levels of Agile Planning, Agile Planning Cheat Sheet, Business Value Points Cheat Sheet, Sizing Epics Cheat Sheet, our famous Agile Team Workbook.
- You walk away with valuable course material, handouts, resources and cheat sheets that will support you on your projects.
16 Group Workshops Included!
- Workshop 1 – Learning Objectives
- Workshop 2 – Traditional Planning Challenges
- Workshop 3 – How Long Will it Take?
- Workshop 4 – Writing Good Stories
- Workshop 5 – Affinity Estimation
- Workshop 6 – Let’s Size Our Stories
- Workshop 7 – Range Calculation
- Workshop 8 – Velocity Estimation
- Workshop 9 – Factors Influencing YOUR Team’s Velocity
- Workshop 10 – Try Release Planning
- Workshop 11 – Multi-Team Challenges
- Workshop 12 – Biggest Bang for the Buck Ranking
- Workshop 13 – Multi-Team Release Planning
- Workshop 14 – Cost – Budget Estimation
- Workshop 15 – Retrospective
- Workshop 16– Your Course Action Items
Call us now to chat about this course: 1.855.2Transform (1.855.287.2673) REQUEST A QUOTE
Enterprise Teams View Biggest Bang for the Buck