This is a powerful four-part journey that takes your executives and leaders on a journey from the traditional command and control leadership style to a new Adaptive Leadership style, better suited for leading High Performing Agile teams.
Included within this journey are four sessions, which take place over two days per quarter, and a 360 assessment that gives your leaders visibility into how they perceive themselves as leaders, how they are perceived by others as leaders, and the difference between the two. Each leader receives a 1:1 coaching session to review their assessment results and build a growth plan to help them reach the next level of maturity to truly become an Adaptive Leader.
Here are the workshops and assessments included in this journey. You may customize the learning roadmap based on the level of leaders (executive level, management, team leaders).
Measuring Leadership Maturity
We offer two assessments. Servant Leadership Health digs deeper into the character and behaviors of a leader. Agile Leadership Health covers a wider range of competencies for leading teams and impacting the organization as a leader. Both can be customized.
Agile / Servant Leadership | 2 Days
Through this course, leaders will learn and practice practical methods from transitioning from a directive style of leading into one that enables autonomous empowered teams. We’ll dig deeper into the role of Managers and how it shifts into a more strategic role that enables the growth of teams/individuals and learn practical skills for making this transition. Watch this Presentation
Day 1: Grow and Enable High Performing Teams
- Clarity on what healthy vs. unhealthy teams look like and what causes both.
- Deeper dive into the role of Agile Managers, what is expected of you now and how this role is impacted by Agile.
- Assessing the health of your teams, measuring the right metrics and developing growth plans. Leverage systems thinking.
- Identify and remove organizational obstacles and performance constraints.
- Effective team design, allocation and stability.
- Agile Roles – Assessing skill gaps and building growth plans. Building and supporting Communities of Practice.
- Change management and growing leaders.
- Working with Scrum Masters, POs and Stakeholders. How to work with non-agile roles.
Day 2: Grow YOUR Agile Leadership Skills
- Clarity on what healthy vs. unhealthy leadership behaviors look like and how they impact the culture and performance of your teams.
- Learn the roots of Command and Control and what triggers this behavior in you.
- Learn to self-reflect, receive feedback (gift giving) and complete your leadership assessment. Start your growth plan.
- Shift to empowerment and enabling team autonomy by leveraging practical tools every day.
- Defining the team’s purpose/vision, norms and decision making.
- Leading through dysfunctional behavior and team conflicts. Learn the 6 cell model and the drama triangle.
- Team motivation – autonomy, mastery, purpose.
- Understanding team dynamics, thinking preferences and how to design ‘We’ teams.
- (Optional) Learn new ways for Agile talent management. This includes new methods to consider for managing performance, hiring, rewarding, career paths and feedback channels.
Leading High-Performing Agile Teams | 2 Days
This course aims to help leaders gain the key skills needed for setting up their teams for success, assessing their health and removing organizational obstacles that impede their performance.
- Clarity on what healthy vs. unhealthy teams look like and the impact leadership has on team performance.
- Explore the team maturity steps and what leaders can do to support and accelerate team growth.
- Practice assessing the health of a specific team in terms of their Clarity, Performance, Leadership, Culture and Foundation. Develop a growth plan for maturing them.
- Learn how to stand up teams through the forming stage and how to setup teams for success with clarity on their purpose, roles and expectations, decision making, ceremonies and a strong foundation.
- Deeper dive into ‘stabilizing‘ teams through storming stage and learn more advanced skills related to conflict management, managing dysfunctional behavior, technical agility and removing organizational impediments.
- Explore teams that are norming and how to optimize their performance, improve metrics, speed to market and business outcome delivery.
- How to ‘enable‘ teams that are performing through creating space for innovation, growing change agents and enabling knowledge sharing across the enterprise.
Tactical to Strategic Leadership | 2 Days
Leaders will learn how to step out of the day to day tactical world of managing tasks and putting out fires and shift to more of a strategic focus that enables team and organizational growth.
- Clarity on tactical vs. strategic thinking and finding the right balance.
- Learn key skills needed for dot-connecting and creating a shared vision that energizes and connects with all stakeholders.
- Align with the strategic direction and current priorities. Define clear business value outcomes.
- Develop a strategy and roadmap for the vision. Perform force-field analysis to identify risks and mitigation plan.
- Engage or design the right execution team. Leverage Agile practices to lead the execution of the roadmap.
- Inspire towards the vision, manage change and resistance.
- Remove organizational obstacles, leverage Agile as a management practice not just for teams.
- Learn to engage as a leader at the right level and frequency. Bring clarity to desired business outcomes/value, measures for success and boundaries.
- Measure results, celebrate success and reward/recognize team results.
Effective Facilitation & Collaboration Skills | 2 Days
How you show up as a facilitator or participant in group sessions is a direct reflection of your ability to lead and collaborate with others. Learning to maximize the use of time, help team members reach their desired outcomes and manage difficult group dynamics and dysfunctions will have a direct impact on your value and effectiveness as a leader. This is one of our most popular and highly rated workshop in terms of value and ROI!
- Learn the value of collaborative decision-making and how to set the right foundation for teams to deliver value through working sessions.
- Practice designing, preparing and facilitating collaborative group sessions. Setup norms and working agreements and practice listening and questioning skills.
- Learn practical techniques for facilitating (and participating) in group session that have the common dysfunctions: Dominators, naysayers, topic jumpers, power/position, anger and emotion and dis-engaged participants.
- Practice using advanced facilitation activities using the activity cards and learn to cut down meeting time by 1/3!